Tuesday 24 January 2012

Meeting An Appearance

Appearances can be deceiving.
I have two reports on this very fact from this week.

First up, I am now working at a chocolate store and café…a place where you might stay and where you buy chocolate minus the ‘e’.  Located in the centre of London we get the odd celebrity buyer…Justin Lee Collins, Gina McKee to name but a few.  And my guest of all guests.

I did not recognise him by sight but by voice.  Flying past him whilst he was at the counter I turned 360 to see the beholder of said voice.  One I had heard many times on re runs, one usually so full of exasperation and here he was ordering a latte.

It was Clive Swift; most famously known as Richard from Keeping Up Appearances.  This may have gone unnoticed apart from the fact that I love this show.  It is brilliant, I love Patricia Routledge.  I love the writing and the performance.  I was in awe.  I’ve watched Clive Swift (albeit a younger version) for many a Christmas/ Sunday afternoon.  He is great.

Now we all remember my success in meeting these people who are known from the world of movies and TV (Huge Bus)

I was so confused as to whether it was him.  The voice said so but he looked older.  I observed him from afar for what seemed hours whilst deliberating whether or not to approach. Was it rude to? Was I an annoyance?  I took three steps forward, six steps back...about three times and then suddenly I was at his side poking him.

He turned around.

“I’m really sorry to bother you” I start nervously, “but I just want you to know that I love your work”…yes I did use that phrase! “I’ve watched you all my life and think you’re great.”

His face is shocked.

Then I freak out thinking “Dear God this is not him, this is not Clive Swift, this is some poor unsuspecting member of the public.”

I continue rather frantically, “I mean you are the guy who played Richard, with Hyacinth Bucket, I mean Patricia Routledge, it’s you…isn’t it?

Silence.

Then his voice, “Yes, yes it is, thank you, gosh, thank you very much.”

Delighted I throw my hand into his with a ‘My name’s Rachel and it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

And with that I pick up my chocolate and skip off.

When he’s leaving a bit later he comes up and chats with me asking me what it’s like to work at this chocolate place to stay! I tell him I’m an actor and we then have a mighty chat involving the Actors Centre which he set up, mutual friends and general good cheer.

He came back the next day and asked after me. I’d rather he asked casting directors to ask for me but we all must start somewhere!

Then I had an audition for a 22 year old flirty pretty Irish girl.  I thought all my wishes had come true.  Someone had seen my profile picture and thought I was pretty.  Very pleased with myself I did my hair, made my make up nice and turned up only to be greeted with “Ah yes, you’re going to audition now for Ellen.”
“Who?”
“Oh she’s 27, bitter and plain…”

Yes, appearances can be deceiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment